“If My Vagina Was A Gun” by Katie Heim

Screen Shot 2013-07-08 at 4.13.04 PM

Today at the Senate committee hearing for the omnibus anti-abortion bill – Senate Bill 1 – Katie Heim (@katieh1022) read this poem.

Here is the audio of the poem (via David Saleh Rauf):

If My Vagina Was A Gun

By Katie Heim

If my vagina was a gun, you would stand for its rights. You would ride on a bus and fight all the fights.

If my vagina was a gun, you would treat it with care. You wouldn’t spill all its secrets, because, well, why go there?

If my vagina was a gun you’d say what it holds is private. From cold dead hands we could pry; you surely would riot.

If my vagina was a gun its rights would all be protected. No matter the body count or the children affected.

If my vagina was a gun I could bypass security. Concealed carry laws would ensure I had purity.

If my vagina was a gun, I wouldn’t have to beg you. I could hunt this great land and do all the things that men do.

But my vagina’s not a gun. It’s a mightier thing. With a voice that rings true, making lawmaker’s ears ring.

Vaginas aren’t delicate, they are muscular, magic. So stop messing with mine, with legislation that’s tragic.

My vagina is here to demand from the source; listen to the voices of thousands or feel their full force.

[From Burnt Orange Report and re-printed with author's permission]

Comments are closed.

27 Responses

1. DJ Small says:

WOW! You did ALL women proud today! Thank you for speaking on behalf of my vagina!

2. Rob Isenberg says:

In ways I’m glad Mom’s not with us to see what’s being done to threaten women’s rights. Then I see something like this and my hope springs! Now, let’s square this issue away once and for all then Finally get the ERA Ratified!!

3. bkmn says:

Just change that to VAGINA and all the retro minded republiTeabaggersPatriots will be sure to outlaw any thought, taste or hope of ever going there….

4. Caroline Allen says:

Thank you, Katie Heim! You have stood up and spoken clearly and loudly for all vaginas! Let’s get the ERA ratified!!!!!!

5. Carolina McCabe says:

I love that graphic!! (apart from the awesome poem.)
    I live in guatemala, central america (26 yrs. now).
    I stand in solidarity with my texan sisters!

how might i be able to use the “graphic” on my Facebook wall, profile, etc.
    Thanks.
    Thank you for what you do to advocate for women’s (reproductive) rights!
    Carolina McCabe (neƩ Caroline C. McCabe)
    ps my daughter, a pediatrician, lives in Austin, Tx.

6. Pingback: If my vagina was a gun... | Texas Blue Lime Productions

7. Pingback: War on Women Being Fought on Multiple Fronts - MOMocrats.com

8. Kathy Treadway says:

I want to say Thank you and I appreciate all everyone is doing to Protect our rights as Women!

9. Pingback: Daily Feminist Cheat Sheet

10. Lazlo says:

[COMMENT REMOVED. Moderator: yours poems are real cute, Lazlo. But just because you put a * in your misogynistic slurs doesn't mean they are ok. You're more than welcome to publish your poems on your own site but I ain't publishing them on mine. Cheers!]

11. Ida E. Rodgers says:

These APPOINTED judges need to be reminded that they have been elected to work for us by us . Every time election comes around we need to know what their agenda is & we the people need to see if they are strong on our needs . Everybody’s need to get out & VOTE !!! Do your homework on the runners & VOTE for the person who has OUR agenda at heart